When I first made the transition to eating gluten free, I learned to rely on gluten free oats as a base for many baked goods. Now that I’m limiting grains, I’ve found quinoa flakes to be an excellent substitute. With that in mind, I whipped up this batch of Cinnamon Raisin Quinoa Muffins over the weekend, perfect for breakfast or a snack just like my oat based banana, peanut butter, or pumpkin muffins. They take just ten minutes to whip up and fifteen to bake, and they’re grain free and easily made dairy free and even vegan!
Quinoa is a seed rather than a grain. Oh, the things we learn in life. As such, it’s the perfect base for a grain free muffin. Start with a base of quinoa flakes and quinoa flour. Or, go for the trifecta and also use cooked white quinoa in place of some of the quinoa flakes. These will give the muffins even more texture.
Add in yogurt, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and cinnamon for a sweet scent and flavor. The yogurt can be Greek or dairy free, and I’ve had success using 2 Tbsp flaxseed and an additional Tbsp of coconut oil to replace the eggs if you want a vegan option. Everyone can finish off the mix with raisins or dried cranberries, polka dotting the muffins with a little extra fruity bite.
- 1⅓ cups quinoa flakes*
- ½ cup quinoa flour
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup applesauce or mashed banana
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Additional oil or cooking spray for muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Separate eggs and whip egg whites in a separate small bowl.
- Add in all wet ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Grease muffin tin or muffin wrappers and pour in batter evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, depending on oven strength.
- Let cool. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite way to use quinoa flour?
Cranberry cinnamon or cinnamon raisin?
Favorite grain free baked good?
© 2015 Renaissance Runner Girl. All rights reserved.