I tend to try and see the best in people, and want to make sure that all my friends and family are happy. I’m often told that this is an impossible goal. But whoever said you can’t please everyone underestimated my skills in dessert experimentation, because I’ve finally concocted a recipe for birthday confetti fairy cakes guaranteed to please any birthday boy or girl AND all of their friends and family, no matter what allergies or dietary restrictions they have!
It’s hard enough to make gluten-free and nut-free cakes and treats, but these are not the only allergens that can cause problems. So I came up with a recipe that is free from all of the ‘Big 8’ allergens. Obviously, you won’t use fish or shellfish much in baking, and I already eliminate gluten and tree nuts. But these fairy cakes are also made without dairy, eggs, soy, or peanuts. They’re vegan and kosher too. And you know what? Even without all of these ingredients, they taste exactly like a classic vanilla birthday cake! I call them fairy cakes because they’re smaller than the typical cupcake and made without icing, instead using allergen-free sprinkles for a pretty top. But the recipe is adaptable for a full-size birthday cake or larger cupcakes with icing (recipes for those coming soon). They’re a guaranteed palate-pleaser and they’re safe for most people, with little tweaks in the event that someone you want to bake a treat for has other dietary restrictions. I hope one day to be a mom who can make birthday treats for my kids that EVERY one of their friends can enjoy – making these for a good friend’s birthday for a group that includes gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and soy-free eaters was a perfect test run!
- 1 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 2/3 cup organic cane sugar OR stevia OR other sweetener (if you need a sugar-free substitution)
- 1 cup So Delicious vanilla coconut milk (or equivalent if someone has a coconut allergy!)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Allergy-free rainbow sprinkles (optional, but who DOESN'T love birthday funfetti?)
- Extra olive oil or cooking spray (to grease the cupcake wrappers)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray 12 cupcake wrappers with cooking spray or lightly brush with olive oil and place in 12-muffin tin.
- Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add in coconut milk, applesauce, olive oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour batter evenly into cupcake wrappers.
- Top with sprinkles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Let cool. Enjoy!
© 2015 Renaissance Runner Girl. All rights reserved.